Peterlee Town Council Sport & Wellbeing
Sharon Pounder is Peterlee Town Council’s Sport and Wellbeing Manager and is based at The Pavilion, Helford Road. Sharon is responsible for organising, developing and delivering a varied programme of sport, wellbeing & physical activities to encourage people of all ages to become more active and look after their physical and mental health.
The aim of the Sport and Wellbeing department is to:
- Increase participation
- Organise facilities for sport and wellbeing activities
- Club Development
- Coaching and Volunteering Opportunities
- Sharon Manages the Council’s grass pitches, which cater for adult and junior grassroot sport.
Sharon and her colleague Elaine; Activities Officer, run PACES; Peterlee Active Community Exercise Scheme, which provides low impact, social exercise sessions for adults.
You can follow us for regular updates on the PACES Facebook page, click on this link to take you direct to the page https://www.facebook.com/PACES.PTC
More information on PACES classes can be found here Updated timetable August 21 and class descriptions
Part of Sharon’s role as Sport & Wellbeing Manager is to work with local clubs and community groups, as well as organising activities for all ages.
PETERLEE TOWN COUNCIL SPORTS FACILITIES include: –
- Pavilion Sport & Community Building
- MUGA (3G) at Helford Road
- Football Pitches at Lowhills Road & Helford Road
- Rugby Pitches at Eden Lane
- Cricket Pitch at Helford Road
- Outdoor Bowling Green at Eden Lane
- Adult & Junior Tennis Courts at Eden Lane
- Outdoor Gym Equipment at Helford Road
- Teqball table at Helford Road (table football)
- Public Access Games Areas at Eden Lane & Woodhouse Park
- Skate Park at Woodhouse Park
Activities for Young People
Little Dribblers – a fun football based activity session focusing on passing, shooting and dribbling skills for 3-5 year olds. Tuesdays 5.00 – 5.45 p.m. run in 4-week blocks. There is a short waiting list for these sessions, please contact the Pavilion 0191 5869957 to put your child’s name on the list.
Sports Clubs and Sessions
Peterlee Koryo Taekwondo Club – Taekwondo is a Korean and Olympic sport involving strikes; kicks and hand techniques, self-defence, patterns, and sparring. The club meet every Thursday 4.30 – 6.00 p.m. and is open to males and females age 6+. For more information, please contact Sharon at The Pavilion on 0191 5869957.
Taste Buddies – come along and have a two-course meal and socialise with staff, volunteers and other like-minded people. There are optional activities to take part in including a quiz, arts and crafts and board games, or just come along and have a chat and a cuppa.