Should extreme weather conditions or other emergencies affect the function of the Council and the Council has to close for a short period, the following provisions will apply:
- Closure for a period of time resulting in staff either being sent home from work or instructed not to attend work, staff will receive their normal average earnings / day’s pay.
- Should staff be unable to attend work due to severe weather conditions (e.g. unable to use their own transport and public transport services have ceased to operate, etc.) or other factors such as flight delays in returning
from holiday, the emergency leave should be taken as holiday, or lieu time, if available.
For more information or to complete the special leave form please click on the following link
Special leave policy
Working in the Sun
A sunny day makes most of us feel good, but too much strong sunlight can be damaging to the skin. The problem is caused by ultraviolet – UV rays in strong sunlight. Grounds and Parks operatives work outdoors for a long time and may get more sun on their skin than is healthy for them. Other staff covering events on behalf of Peterlee Town Council may also be at risk from exposure to UV. therefore, this infomation applies to all Peterlee Town Council staff.
- Keep your top on at all times.
- Wear a hat with a brim or a flap that covers the ears and the back of the neck.
- Stay in the shade whenever possible, during your breaks and especially at lunch time.
- Use a high factor sunscreen of at least SPF30 on any exposed skin (everyone’s skin is different so ensure that the type/brand is compatible with yours).
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
For more information please click on the following link working in the sun.