Volunteering Policy Statement
- To make volunteering as enjoyable and enriching as possible.
- Recognise that volunteering provides the capacity to build skills and confidence and contribute towards individual’s personal development.
- Respect volunteers and their input, in both listening to and hearing from what they have to say – feedback from volunteers is always welcome.
- Acknowledging volunteering is of wider benefit to society, as well as to the Town Council in providing extra resources to help us deliver our services.
- Valuing volunteers and the important role volunteering has to play in helping people who are excluded from society to participate and become active members of their communities.
- Recognise that volunteering is at the heart of strong communities.
- Develop a core number of volunteers to make volunteering projects sustainable.
As a Volunteer you can expect
- A supportive and positive environment that ensures an enjoyable experience.
- To be treated with respect.
- Induction and opportunity to undertake appropriate training.
- A named contact for support.
- Relevant and up to date information and advice.
- That we will have risk assessed any activity that we ask you to undertake as a volunteer.
- Recognition and thanks.
What do we expect from a volunteer?
- Carry out the agreed project/role to the best of your ability.
- Respect confidentiality whenever you have access to confidential information.
- Give us honest feedback and ideas for improvement.
- Be accountable and accept constructive comment.
- Take part in relevant training.
- Ask for support if you need it.
- Treat staff and your fellow volunteers with the courtesy you would expect to receive.
- Comply with our policies, procedures and standards.
- Undertake your work safely and report any concerns immediately.
- Be reliable, tell us if you are unavailable or running late.
Examples of volunteering opportunities with Peterlee Town Council are:-
- Helping at an organised litter pick
- Helping at one of our many Town Events such as the Peterlee Show, Remembrance Parade, Armed Forces Day, Community Cinema etc.
- Getting involved in a ‘Friends of the Park’ Group, or similar activity with a ‘Friends of’ Group
How do I become a Volunteer with PTC?
- Complete a Volunteer Application Form
- We will contact you to discuss your application and arrange a meeting.
- When we have agreed the most suitable type of volunteering activity for you, you will then complete a volunteering agreement
- We appreciate and value the input of under 16’s and encourage families to take part in volunteering, however, under 16’s must be accompanied by a responsible adult/guardian/parent.